Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Excel in school!!!

Throughout my years in high school and even in middle school, my exposure to Microsoft Excel was minimal. I never really had the opportunity to create graphs and analyze spreadsheets of data. At the beginning of the semester I felt completely overwhelmed because I lacked the basic computing skills to be able to construct data analysis and other forms of numerical presentations. With the courses of Integrative Biology, Biology Lab, and Calculus A, having these skills is vitally important to be able to complete the assignments distributed by the professors. Taking the Essential Computer Skills course has really helped me a great deal in developing my Excel skills. Before any instruction, I did not have any knowledge on how to create graphs and make functions out of the data. I know am capable of using shortcuts that will make the entire process of assignments way easier. Being able to use this program effectively is important because it is used in several workplaces as well. Aside from the fact that Excel is a program used throughout college, it is also something that can help you with careers and jobs. I personally have had to use the program in a workplace when I used to work at a doctor's office as a billing clerk. All of the patient's information and insurance information were all organized in excel spreadsheets, and my lack of experience made it difficult for me to be able to manipulate the data easily. If I would have had the experience and skills that I now hold, the entire job would have been way easier for me.

No comments: